Prairie Diagnostic Services is seeking a motivated, adaptable team player for the position of Laboratory Technologist to join our Necropsy Facility team.
As a Necropsy Laboratory Technologist you will be responsible for technical aspects of the Necropsy Facility including:
- Admitting diagnostic cases, preparing accurate case histories, and interacting with clients.
- Providing technical assistance to veterinary pathologists and veterinary medical students during necropsy examinations.
- Preparing specimens and performing supervised necropsies.
- Operating the overhead crane and power tools.
- Preparing animal remains and tissue fixatives for disposal.
- Sanitation, cleaning, housekeeping and maintenance of the lab and equipment.
You will be able to:
- Perform heavy manual labour with or without the assistance of mechanical aids.
- Independently set up, operate, and troubleshoot equipment.
- Assess, plan, and adjust work priorities to meet required objectives.
- Work independently and participate as a contributing member of the team to achieve individual and common goals while maintaining a cohesive work unit.
- Apply safe work practices where exposure to unknown and potentially pathogenic (zoonotic) micro-organisms is expected.
- Communicate technical information at the appropriate level to clients and co-workers.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A team player with a positive attitude who can operate effectively in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Detail oriented, independent and trustworthy.
- Logical and flexible.
- Open to learning on the job.
You will have knowledge of veterinary anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology. Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety standards as they apply to equipment and chemicals is considered an asset. The skills required for this position are typically acquired through the completion of an accredited Veterinary Technology program. An equivalent combination of suitable education and relevant work experience may be considered.
Candidates are asked to clearly describe in their cover letter and resume how they acquired the knowledge, skills and personal attributes required for this position. The supplied information will be used to screen applicants.
Typical hours of work:
- Weekdays 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Weekend and overtime work may be required
- Call duty is assigned on a rotational basis including weekends and holidays.
What we offer:
- Salary range $31.31-$38.09 per hour
- SGEU union membership
- Employer matched pension contributions
- Extended health and dental
- Long term disability
- Paid sick leave