Skip to content

Student Commonly Asked Questions

The registration deadline for new graduates confuses me, what is the deadline?

If you are working in a clinic setting, you must register as a provisional member as soon as you have your diploma/transcript and a VTNE test date. Provisional membership is for students that have not written or passed the VTNE.

If you are not working, you still must register before August 31st as your student membership expires. After a lapse of 6 months without an active membership, you must pass an executive interview ($200) to become an active member.

After 3 years without an Active membership in any province, you will have to re-write the VTNE.

What about CE?

As a new grad, you may submit any CE credits that you have earned while you were a student in your graduating year. This is a bonus year to get you started on your CE journey. Your two-year term starts Jan 1st the following date of registration. For example, as a 2017 graduate, your CE term will start on January 1, 2018 – December 31st, 2019. You will need to collect 20 CE credits every 2 years. Please view the CE policy here:

I won’t be working in a Veterinary Clinic/I won’t be working as a Veterinary Technologist right now/I am travelling, what do I do?

Please register as an Active member and keep your status and CE up to date. This is a lot easier and less costly- as there are penalties if you don’t. You may have to undergo an executive interview or possibly re-write the VTNE depending on the length of time without an Active membership. Do you really want to spend all that money on education and not be able to work when you find your dream job as you are not a registered member?

I’m moving to another province, what do I do?

If you are moving in your graduation year, register with the other provinces association directly. You do not have to register through SAVT, however, please let us know. If you plan to move in the future, please register with the SAVT and we can provide the other province with a letter of good standing once you move.

What does the membership fee go towards?

Your membership fee pays for Membership with SAVT and RVTTC.

Membership in the Saskatchewan Association of Veterinary Technologists (SAVT), your provincial association is an investment in your career, as well as in the future of your chosen profession!

The SAVT is your provincial voice, the SVMA is your governing body,  while the Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada (RVTTC) represents you at your national level, fostering understanding between the profession, the public, government, advocating on your behalf on critical issues; and encouraging collaboration with industry and other Veterinary organizations to promote professional excellence in all disciplines of the profession. Membership in the SAVT, SVMA and RVTTC is your link to more than 10,000 colleagues across Canada who now become a part of your professional network. Whether you are a large animal, a small animal; specialize in a medical field, research; or work as a Rep; membership provides access to an array of resources that reflect the diversity of the profession and the challenging environment in which you work. Among these are: Policies on practice guidelines, and a code of ethics, all created by fellow members to guide RVTs in the exemplary practice of their profession. National certification exams; salary and career information; a vast menu of continuing education /professional development programs that keep you informed about the developments in the profession and with the Association.

If you ever have any questions about membership, or anything SAVT-related, please feel free to contact us. The most efficient method of communication with the office is via email: 

Back To Top