Laboratory Clerk - PLC05
0.5 FTE (Term less than 9 months)
Prairie Diagnostic Services (PDS), Inc. is seeking a well organized, highly motivated energetic individual to provide specimen and client reception, sample distribution, test results data entry, reporting, and invoicing in its Diagnostic Services Office. PDS, Inc. is a high volume veterinary diagnostic testing service company located at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon.
The position provides a variety of Laboratory and Administrative support services, including:
- receiving, sorting, providing accession numbers for and distribution of veterinary specimens to diagnostic laboratories;
- receiving and responding to clients (in person, via phone, fax and/or email) who are requesting and/or inquiring about diagnostic testing services and results;
- preparing specimen submission forms; proofreading, editing and inputting client documented information into spreadsheets and databases;
- supporting the development and implementation of SOP’s for work processes and maintaining quality control standards;
- verifying, entering and retrieving client and case related data and/or testing results with speed and accuracy; and
- preparing documentation for and packing of samples that must be shipped to referral laboratories, following TDG regulations and protocols.
The position requires strong computer skills, a sound knowledge of veterinary diagnostic laboratory tests and specimen requirements, as well as medical terminology. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to respond to clients who may be unhappy with circumstances and test results.
Typically the knowledge and skills required for this position would be obtained through completion of a post secondary diploma or degree in a veterinary or agriculture related program and work experience in veterinary clinic reception, a research or agricultural testing laboratory or medical office reception.
This position is assigned regulated hours of work (20 hours/week), with the possibility of shared weekend and holiday rotations. As an expectation of this work environment you may be exposed to unknown, potentially pathogenic organisms.
Candidates must clearly indicate in their cover letter or resume how they have acquired the following knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes. The supplied information will be used to screen applications.
You will have knowledge of:
- veterinary diagnostic laboratory tests and their specimen requirements; animal diseases of economic and environmental significance, in both companion and livestock
- Veterinary medical terminology.
- Knowledge of the requirements for safe handling of various risk group organisms, up to and including RG-3. Spill management, Transportation of Dangerous Goods and Laboratory Biosafety certification preferred.
You will have the ability to:
- accurately input, edit, update and retrieve client and statistical information from a database;
- create, format and edit a variety of visually pleasing, clear and presentable documents using various software applications within required time frames;
- actively listen to acknowledge concerns, provide explanations and/or options to diffuse or resolve difficult situations with people in a calm and courteous manner;
- orally and in writing explain or present technical scientific, medical information in a clear, accurate and understandable manner, at a level appropriate to the audience while maintaining confidentiality and staying within policies and procedures;
- work independently and/or participate as a contributing member of a team to complete work assigned, achieve common goals and contribute towards a positive work environment;
- accurately calculate, collect, reconcile and verify fees, invoices and accounts in accordance with established policies and guidelines;
- identify, clarify and analyze client concerns in order to provide appropriate analyses to meet or satisfy client needs;
- independently or as part of a team, assess, plan and adjust work priorities as stat, urgent or routine to meet required objectives in consideration of deadlines and resource availability and;
- responsibly receive, handle, label, document and store samples to maintain specimen/sample integrity within established guidelines.
You will be:
- approachable, diplomatic and discreet in dealing with clients and co-workers when responding to requests and confidential information;
- flexible, adaptable and organized when responding to changing task deadlines or priorities and,
- proficient with standard Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel.
Please apply to email@example.com
Application deadline: Monday September 27, 2021