Prairie Diagnostic Services, located in Saskatoon, provides veterinary diagnostic testing for infectious and other diseases of livestock and animals. We are seeking a Term (up to 2 years) full time Laboratory Technologist to work in our Histology laboratory. The successful candidate will work primarily in Histology; however an individual’s interest, willingness and capability to cross-train in other services will be considered an asset. The successful candidate will have knowledge of diagnostic veterinary terminologies, theories and principles relevant to the performance of histological sectioning and staining of veterinary tissues.
The superior laboratory skills required for this position are typically obtained through the completion of a recognized appropriate technical school or university program. On the job training will be provided to the successful candidate.
Typical hours of work are Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. As an expectation of this work environment you may be exposed to unknown, potentially pathogenic organisms. The successful candidate shall be provided with a rabies vaccination.
Candidates must clearly indicate in their cover letter or resume how they have acquired the following knowledge, abilities and personal attributes. The supplied information will be used to screen applications.
You will have the following knowledge skills and abilities:
- Veterinary anatomy and histology terminologies, theories and principles relevant to the methods used for histological processing of formalin fixed and frozen tissues.
- Knowledge of histology laboratory processes including trimming of formalin fixed animal tissues, embed, section, stain and mount histologic slides
- Operation and maintenance of tissue processors, embedding stations, microtomes, automated staining equipment along with manual methods for common stains.
- To prepare and analyze samples according to protocol.
- Performance of routine maintenance, calibration and verification for laboratory equipment according to ISO/IEC 17025 and AAVLD.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, efficient.
- Customer-focused, highly accountable and dependable.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Team player; demonstrating commitment to openness, honesty, inclusiveness, loyalty, high standards and quality output.
- Behaves consistently with PDS core values. Acts with integrity, and is self-aware. Committed to personal growth and ongoing learning and development.
- Independently, or as part of a team, assess, plan and adjust work priorities as stat, urgent or routine to meet required objectives, in consideration of deadlines and resource availability.
- Work independently and participate as a contributing member of a team to achieve individual and common goals to maintain a cohesive work unit.
- Detect technical/analytical errors to systematically identify the source of the error and quickly resolve the problem to ensure compliance with standards, protocols and procedures.
- Accurately compile and monitor quality control and test results for statistical information purposes.
- Apply precautions and proper laboratory safety practices according to established protocols, safety guidelines and existing legislation to protect self, co-workers, the public and the environment.
- Encourage, co-operate and advise colleagues to promote and maintain a healthy, positive work environment and achieve client and team goals.
- Responsibly receive, handle, label, document and store samples to maintain specimen/sample integrity within established guidelines.
You will be:
- Logical and flexible to ensure that work is prioritized and completed according to urgency.
- A team player with a positive attitude that can operate effectively in a high volume fast paced environment.